Monday, May 9, 2011

National Shrimp Day 2011

by Dinae Forrest, RN

Today, May 10th, is National Shrimp Day.  Who doesn't think about Bubba Gump Shrimp on a day like today?  Shrimp are a big business on the Gulf Coast which is near and dear to me.  My mother was born and reared in Gulfport, Mississippi.  Each year they celebrate the Blessing of the Fleet.  The shippers decorate their boats and then sail past the priest who offers blessings and prayers for a prosperous haul. 


On pier 39 they have the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and outside sits Forrest Gump with a box of chocolates. Teresa was too afraid of the chocolates, so she asked Heather whether she would take a picture with me and Forrest. He looked a bit uncomfortable with having Heather’s arm around him.  There are about twenty or so Bubba Gumps located throughout the United States. http://www.bubbagump.com/

They have festivals, queens, music and great food.  I remember when I was younger we would go to my grandparent's home there on the coast every year.  My dad would buy a 15 gallon metal garbage can, take it to the docks and have them fill it up with ice and shrimp.  He was in charge of his Sunday School's annual shrimp boil up in the delta each year.  My grandpa and him would come home with their "catch" and we spent the rest of the day pulling the heads off so we could pack them up for our trip back home.
Even though they were abundant on the coast, we still consider them a delicacy, and eat them only on special occasions.   There are many ways to cook them, and they are all great!  As Bubba said, Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

Celebrate the day with a nice shrimp lunch, dinner or both!
P.S. Aboard the Carnavil Pride, they do indeed serve good Shrimp!

1 comment:

  1. ILOVE shrimp!!! Especially big fat breaded ones deep fried to perfection. OH, the calories!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...