Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ancestor Appreciation Day

By Diane Forrest,


Who are you and where did you come from?  The people from your past help to mold the person you have become.  That's why today is Ancestor Appreciation Day.

I have never done a search for my ancestors, but I have done a living history.  I have questioned family members, taken notes and even taped them (this was before videos)  I have learned that one of my relatives was Abraham Lincoln's first Vice President, Hannible Hamlin.  I learned that one of my husband's relatives was Nathan Bedford Forrest.  I have had several relatives who had buildings named after them at a state university.  I have had family members who have been instrumental in starting churches, and have had rooms dedicated to them.  I have learned that many men in my family served our country in every war.  There have been farmers to lawyers, engineers to nurses. Each of these people laid the ground work for who I am.  They inspired me to become educated, religious and active in my community.

I have included a picture of my husband next to his great- great- grandfather, who was also named David.  I colored in the beard and added some glasses and showed my husband how much he looked like his ancestor.  We also get many of our physical traits and genetics from our ancestors.

Today, why don’t you interview your ancestors and get as much information as you can from them.  Write it down, they have some wonderful books on amazon to write down family stories and records.  Pass these stories down to future generations to keep, learn from and enjoy.

To discover more of your family history check out Ancestry.com here: http://www.ancestry.com/home/lo/index?version=a&o_xid=21837&o_lid=21837&o_sch=Search

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...