Friday, October 7, 2011

National Fluffernutter Day

By Diane Forrest,


When I think of Marshmallow Cream the first thing I think of is the Sta-Puft Marshmallow man blowing up all over the Ghostbusters.  Then I think of the delicious fudge I make during the holidays.  Recently I made some brownies that use marshmallow cream and I have to say they were amazing!  That about covers my experience with marshmallow cream.  Today, I have learned about something new.  Something called Fluffernutter.  What this is, is a sandwich made with marshmallow cream, also called fluff, and peanut butter.  I am learning about it, because today is National Fluffernutter Day.


The fluffernutter is a particular favorite in the Northeastern states.  In fact, Massachusetts has proposed making it the official state sandwich.


A fluffernutter is made by spreading peanut butter on a slice of white bread, then spreading an equal amount of some kind of marshmallow (small, large or cream) on another slice, and finally combining them together to form a sandwich. Variations of the recipe include wheat bread instead of white, and the addition of bananas, honey, or other ingredients that are compatible with peanut butter, or the addition of chips (potato chips, corn chips, etc.) inside of the sandwich instead of on the side.


In June 2006, Massachusetts state senator Jarrett Barrios gained national attention when he proposed legislation restricting the serving of fluffernutter sandwiches in public schools. The proposal was criticized as an example of trivial and overly intrusive legislation, while Barrios' supporters pointed to concerns over the problem of childhood obesity.


So if you have never tried one of these sandwiches, why not have one today, on National Fluffernutter Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...