Monday, November 21, 2011

National Cashew Day

(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest,

Every year at Christmas I make a huge batch of my famous "trash".  I’m sure many of you know it by Chex Mix, the snack with the cereal, pretzels and nuts.  The recipe calls for a can of mixed nuts, however in my family; people search through and pick out the cashews.  I have to confess that I am guilty of that myself.  I love the cashews.  I have altered my recipe to include 1 can of mixed nuts, and 1 can of cashews, and it works out alot better, people don’t have to search as hard to find one.

(Google Image) 

The cashew is grown in tropical climates, and I think it is fascinating that one nut is formed on a cashew apple as seen in the above picture.  The cashew nut is eaten raw, is used in cooking, as in Chinese cashew chicken, and in some countries it is used to produce a strong liqueur.

(Google Image) 

Today is National Cashew Day.  Why not celebrate by grabbing a bag or can, or even making a batch of "Trash”?  Below is the recipe that is printed on the cereal box, but I’m also gonna share my alterations too.  You can put anything you like in there, it makes alot, so great for passing out to family or friends for Christmas.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups Corn Chex® cereal
  • 3 cups Rice Chex® cereal
  • 3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
  • 1 cup mixed nuts
  • 1 cup bite-size pretzels
  • 1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
  • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2   teaspoons seasoned salt
  • ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder

Directions:


  1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
  2. Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.

Oven Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 250°F.
  2. In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven.
  3. Stir in seasonings.
  4. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated.
  5. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper

Diane's Trash
Ingredients:

  • 1 Box Rice Chex
  • 1 Box Corn Chex
  • 1/2 bag Bow Pretzels
  • 1 large can mixed nuts
  • 1 large can cashews
  • 12 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 teaspoons season salt


  1. I get a large roasting pan and pour all the dry ingredients in, then melt butter, in microwave, stir in season salt and Worcestershire sauce until well mixed. 
  2. Sprinkle over entire pan, and stir.
  3. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated.
  4. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
  5. Spread on paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...