Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cookies, Cookies…

(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest,
(aka cookie monster)

We told you the other day that it is cookie cutter week.  I wanted to give you my cookie recipe then, but I knew this day was coming.  Today is National Cookie Day!  For the past year I have made cookies at least once a month, sometimes more.  I have made cut out cookies, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter and snowballs.  I bake them and mail or deliver them to friends and family.  I have learned that most guys like oatmeal raisin, everyone loves chocolate chips, kids love the cutouts, my daddy likes peanut butter, and my aunt loves the snowballs.   During the holidays some groups get together and have a cookie swap.  Everyone brings a couple dozen cookies, and you trade cookies with the others, and by the time you leave you have all kinds of different cookies.  So on National Cookie Day, start your holiday baking, and keep a few for yourself.  Here are a few of my favorite recipes to get you started:
(Google Image)

Cut out cookies (tea cakes)

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream butter, sugar and eggs; add vanilla.  Add flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix well, will be stiff.  Lay out wax paper or pastry sheet.  Sprinkle with flour.  Take 1/2 mix and form in a ball.  Place on wax paper and sprinkle top with flour.  Rub rolling pin with flour then roll out the dough.  Continue to sprinkle with flour if dough is sticky.  Cut into shapes and bake for 10 to 12 mins.  If you use icing to decorate, let them cool, if you are just going to sprinkle sugar on top, do that before baking.  If you want colored dough, add food coloring before you add the flour.

(Google Image)

Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup raisins

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325; Cream shortening, sugars, water egg and vanilla; Add flour salt, soda, baking powder cinnamon and nutmeg; Mix well. 
Add oats, raisins and pecans.  Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes.   For a different taste I added a mixture of raisins and craisins (cranberries).


(Google Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...