Monday, January 9, 2012

Bittersweet Chocolate Day


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest,

When I was a young girl I can remember watching my grandmother making her special fudge, in a thick black iron skillet.  She would then pour it out on a piece of aluminum foil and wait for it to cool and harden before cutting it into squares and placing it into metal tins.  She would always let me scrape the bottom of the skillet; trouble was there was barely any left when she got through.

Now I am the family fudge maker, along with all the other goodies that come at Christmas time.  This year I made 3 batches of my granny's fudge to send off to friends and family who were not able to be here.  Trying to save money on postage, I mailed my cousin's fudge along with is parents, my aunt and uncle.  I asked him to deliver it to them when it arrived.  He said he would be glad to, so I waited to get the word that the fudge had made it there without any problems.  This being the south, it is usually warm at Christmas, and has a tendency to melt together.  I finally heard from him and he was telling me how delicious it was when I asked how his folks liked it.  After a long silence he asked." was I supposed to take them some?"  He had forgotten to take it, and ended up eating it all!  Well of course I said I was gonna tell on him, but ended up sending more out to them, everyone should have fudge on Christmas.

(Google Image) 

The fudge recipe I use is made with bittersweet chocolate squares.  Bittersweet is chocolate that does not have milk in it.  It is a darker chocolate, and research has sown that is very beneficial in lowering blood pressure.  It contains antioxidants and flavonoids that help to protect the heart.  Of course that is the main reason that I eat chocolate, to help my heart.

Today is Bittersweet Chocolate Day, so why not help your heart too, and here is my recipe for fudge that is just the ticket.

(Google Image) 

Fantasy Fudge

Ingredients

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 small can (5 oz.) evaporated milk (about 2/3 cup) (Do not use sweetened condensed milk.)
  • 1-1/2 pkg. (12 squares) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped
  • 1 jar (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
  • 1 cup chopped PLANTERS Walnuts
  • 1 tsp.vanilla


Directions:

  1. LINE 9-inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Bring sugar, butter and evaporated milk to full rolling boil in 3-qt. saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 4 min. or until candy thermometer reaches 234°F, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
  2. ADD chocolate and marshmallow crème; stir until melted. Add nuts and vanilla; mix well.
  3. POUR into prepared pan; spread to cover bottom of pan. Cool completely. Use foil handles to lift fudge from pan before cutting into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...