Monday, January 2, 2012

Chocolate Covered Cherry


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest,

If you haven't been down the Christmas candy section at your favorite store, you have missed the tons of boxes of chocolate covered cherries.    This time of year they are everywhere!  My mother used to buy them for her aunts at Christmas, they loved them.  I love cherries, and I love chocolate, but for some reason I don’t like the packaged candy.  I think it must be the liquid that surrounds them.  I’m sure I would love a fresh cherry dipped in chocolate, but I have never tried that.  But have been thinking more and more about it since starting this article!

(Google Image) 
Today is National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day, so in researching how this day got started, or even some kind of history, I couldn't find anything.  But I did find a cute made up story about them from what the heck holidays.com, and thought I would share it with you.

Once upon a time, there was an ancient king of England who was king so long ago that no one can even remember his name. He had this mother-in-law that he really hated, but he didn't want to just upset his beautiful queen wife by killing her. So on her birthday, he gave his mother-in-law a GIANT chocolate-covered cherry, and she choked on it and died. To celebrate this day (he told his wife it was a day to mourn for their kingdom's loss though, because he didn't want to hurt her feelings) he declared National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day. Somehow the holiday came over to the USA (probably from immigrants a long time ago) and we all eat giant chocolate covered cherries and hope we don't die tragically.

(Google Image) 

So since the holidays are over, and the cherries have been marked down, why not grab a box today.  I’m pretty sure it counts as a fruit, so it won't mess up your diet plans...wink wink!

Below is a recipe if you want to make your own fresh cherries:

Chocolate Covered Cherries

  • 2 cups powdered sugar (you may want to use more to thicken it up, some people have used another cup full)
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 pinch salt
  • maraschino cherry,   drained
  • milk dipping chocolate (I use giridelli's)


Directions:
  1. Combine the first 5 ingredients until well blended and smooth and place in fridge until firm
  2. Meanwhile spread out the drained cherries on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least 1 hours.
  3. Scoop out about 1-2 teaspoon of filling and form into a ball around a cherry.
  4. Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze for 1 hr after you have formed them all.
  5. Melt dipping chocolate and using your hands dip each cherry placing it on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and chill in fridge until chocolate is solid.
  6. Remove cherries carefully as not to break them open and loose the center.
  7. Place in an airtight plastic container and keep in a cool dry place for up to 1 month.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...