Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cigarettes Are Hazardous to your Health (and mine)


(Google Image) 

By Akindman,
(Reformed Smoker)

I first began smoking in my early teens – when I could get a cigarette – and stated smoking full time during my senior year of high school.  It was the ‘cool’ thing to do then – friends, peers, parents, and grandparents set the example.  Over the years, I quit a couple times but finally stop for good on March 31, 1987 while returning from lunch when my good friend asked me when I was going to quit.  My reply was to throw away the pack and lighter in the nearest trash bin and never again lit another cigarette.

Twelve years later, my doctor showed me a recent x-ray of my lungs, scar tissue was still present.

In 1964, the U.S. Surgeon General Luther Terry issued the first government report saying that smoking is hazardous to your health.

It is estimated that smoking-related diseases cause more than 440,000 American deaths annually, and costs the United States over $150 billion each year in health care costs.

Here's help for sticking to your New Year's resolution to quit in 2012:
  • National Cancer Institute's quit smoking line 1-877-44U-QUIT ( 1-877-448-7848 )
  • Smokefree.gov's Quit Guide
  • Live help via chat, from the National Cancer Institute, available Monday through Friday 8 a.m. until 11 p.m.


If you or someone you know is still smoking, please read this article – ‘Smoking – health risks’, Reviewed by Dr Patricia Macnair, GP http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/smokehealth.htm

(Google Image)

(Google Image)

(Google Image)

(Google Image)

(Google Image)
Message Received?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...