Thursday, January 26, 2012

National Chocolate Cake Day


Mouth watering...Yum

By Diane Forrest,

When my husband and I would go to our state capital, we would always eat at the same restaurant.  I would love to eat there because they had chicken and dumplins just like my grandmother used to make and it’s the only place I could get them.  We would always get dessert, but since we would be too full after dinner, we would get it to go. 
How was it?
On one of our trips to the restaurant they had a special dessert, a Coca Cola cake.  It sounded good, and my husband worked for Coke...so we thought we would give it a try.  We ordered it to go, so they just put it in a bag for us, and we never even got a look at it.  A few hours later when we returned home we decided it was time for our sugar fix, and pulled out the boxes of cake.  What we discovered was the most perfect piece of chocolate cake we had ever seen, or tasted.  The cake was moist and delicious, with an icing that was not too hard, not too thin, but just right.  While I wanted to gobble it all up, I took small slow bites, savoring eat crumb.  A few months later the restaurant decided to make that cake part of their normal menu, I guess I’m not the only one who fell in love with it.  When my son was coming home from college, he passed the restaurant, so I asked him to pick me up some dumplings and cake, and I would call ahead and order and pay for it.  I anxiously waited for my son's arrival, of course I was excited to see him, and I couldn't wait to get my mouth around that cake.

What I was not aware of was when my son went to pick up my order, they could not find it, did not have it ready, so instead of calling, he just ordered something to go and came on home.  You cannot imagine my disappointment when I was expecting a whole delicious cake, I only got 1 piece!
Last slice...

Chocolate cake is one of my all-time favorite cakes, and it is also my father's favorite.  I have always wanted to make him a perfect cake, like the one you see on the picture of the cake mix box.  Try as I might I could never get that cake mastered.  The cake would be too dry, or the icing too hard.   Last summer a friend of mine gave me this recipe for a chocolate cake that is really quite delicious.  I made it for my mother's birthday, and you can see it pictured above.
Short on time...
Today is National Chocolate Cake Day, so why not try your hand at baking a wonderful cake, or if all else fails, you can stop by and get a little Debbie’s snack cake.  Any chocolate cake is a great way to spend the day.

Fudge Cake

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1 jar marshmallow cream
  •  

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat eggs; add sugar, flour and vanilla.  Melt butter and cocoa in a boiler and add to mixture.  Beat until well mixed and add nuts.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes in a greased 8 x 11 pan.  Spread marshmallow cream over cake while hot.  Cool and frost

Frosting

Ingredients

1 stick butter
1/3 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box powdered sugar

Directions

Mix all ingredients together and gradually add 2 to 4 tablespoon of evaporated or regular milk, spread on cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...