Thursday, February 23, 2012

National Banana Bread Day


(Google Image) 

Chef Diane,

My husband has 6 aunts all in their 80's and all in great condition, none of them have any medical problems.   Even though we had been married for 15 years, I had never had the opportunity to meet them all.  The summer before my husband passed away we were able to visit 4 of them. I took each of them a loaf of my banana bread as an introduction gift.  They all loved the bread, and to my surprise, my husband offered to send them some throughout the year.  I thought that was very generous of him, since I was the one who would be baking and mailing it.  And you can't send just one some, they talk.  So I had to make it for all of them.
(Google Image) 
When my husband passed away expectantly a few months later, I continued to send the bread.  Not only was it therapeutic for me to bake it, but it also helped me stay connected to his family, and they loved it too.  The recipe I use is one my grandmother used and gave to me many years ago.  She made it often too because her brother-in-law worked for Dole, on the ship, and would always bring her a case of bananas.  She had to find some way to get rid of them all.
(Google Image) 
Today is National Banana Bread Day.  My father always says that bananas are the perfect food.  I don’t know about perfect, but they are full of potassium and other vitamins and minerals.  So today, bake some banana bread and share with your coworkers or neighbors over some coffee. I’m also providing Granny's recipe, it always turns out perfectly.

Banana Bread

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup corn oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I normally use a loaf pan, but you can also use a Bundt pan too. Spray with cooking oil.  Cream oil and sugar; add eggs, 1 at a time.  Sift dry ingredients mix with creamed butter.  Add mashed bananas and nuts.  Bake for 1 hour or until done.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...