Thursday, March 1, 2012

National Write a Letter of Appreciation Week


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

Dear Lockridge Primary School,

God bless you for the beautiful radio I won at your recent Senior Citizens luncheon. I am 87 years old and live at the St Mary’s Nursing Home. All of my family has passed away so I am all alone.

My roommate is 95 and has always had her own radio; but, she would never let me listen to it. She said it belonged to her long dead husband, and understandably, wanted to keep it safe.

The other day her radio fell off the nightstand and broke into a dozen pieces. It was awful and she was in tears.

She asked if she could listen to mine, and I was overjoyed that I could tell her to piss off.
Thank you for that wonderful opportunity.

God bless you all.
Edna

Many years ago, before iPads, cell phones, or computers, people actually talked to each other, visited each other, and wrote letters.  Letter writing has become a lost art what with the electronic media available to us, and the increase of postage, however it is still one of the best forms of communication available.  They are so valuable in preserving memories as well as history.  Can you imagine what would have been lost if Anne Frank sent texts?  Or if the Presidents sent emails?
(Google Image) 
When my father was away at boot camp, he wrote letters to my mother and she saved every one.  My Aunt and Uncle send letters of their family's activities every year, and I save each one.  Who knows?  Maybe years from now some historian will use these letters for educational purpose.

This week is National Write a Letter of Appreciation Week.  There are all kinds of people in your life you can write a letter to, and since it is a week-long event, you can write more than one.  You can write to your family, teachers, preachers, congressmen or women, mail carriers or newspaper carriers.  You can write to your local store managers, neighbors, friends or coworkers.   It doesn't have to be a long letter, just a few lines to let someone know that you appreciate them, and you are glad they are in your life.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...