Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness Week



(Google Image)
By Diane Forrest,

I had been feeling a little down lately, Valentine's Day was fast approaching, and it would be my second one without my Valentine here to spend it with.  As I was leaving my home I noticed a white box at my front door.  I hadn't ordered anything recently, and it was not my birthday, so for the next hour I wondered what could be in that box.  When I finally returned home I raced to the door to see what was waiting for me.  It was an early Valentine's Day gift from a friend of mine, and the box was filled with all kinds of wonderful items.  There were homemade chocolate cookies, sweet smelling sachets, homemade dish clothes, and a beautiful heart keepsake.   My face lit up like a Christmas tree and pushed the blues away.

This week is Random Acts of Kindness Week.  There are so many little things you can do that will brighten the lives of someone else.  Lifehack.org lists some 29 things you can do to help you get started.  They include:

  1. Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
  2. Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
  3. Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
  4. Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
  5. Buy a coffee for the man on the high street selling The Big Issue magazine.
  6. Cut your neighbor’s hedge.
  7. Walk your friend’s dog.
  8. Give a compliment about your waiter / waitress to his / her manager.
  9. Send someone a small gift anonymously.
  10. Stop and help someone replace their flat tire.
  11. Let someone jump the queue at the bank.
  12. Pay for the drinks on the next table at a café.
  13. Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
  14. Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.
  15. Hold the train door open for someone rushing to get in.
  16. Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
  17. Write notes of appreciation at least once a week.
  18. Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
  19. Pick up some rubbish in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
  20. Compliment a work colleague for their excellence.
  21. Recommend a competitor to a potential client.
  22. Give another driver your parking spot.
  23. Give a piece of fruit to a delivery person.
  24. Help an elderly neighbor carry the rubbish out.
  25. Tell all your family members how much your appreciate them.
  26. Leave a copy of an interesting book on a train / bus.
  27. Buy an inspirational book for a friend.
  28. Send a thank you note to a person who has helped you in the past.
  29. Smile a lot.

(Google Image)

Doing something nice for someone else when they least expect it, also brightens up your day too.  Be Kind to someone this week...and who knows, you may want to do it all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...