Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring Cleaning Week


(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

Last night as I was busy doing some work on my computer I heard a knock at the door.  It was still light outside, thanks to Springing Forward, so I went to see who was there.  I was expecting a visit from my next door neighbor who was moving the next day, but instead I saw a tall thin black man with a overnight bag.  The first thing that came to my mind was he was looking for a place to stay, but then he pulled out a clear plastic bottle full of green liquid.  He looks up at me and tells me I must be the princess of the house and asks if my parents are home. (Not a bad way to start).

(Google Image)  
He then hands me this little booklet and starts telling me all about this magic potion he is holding.  He reminded me of the snake oil salesman in the movie The Rainmaker.  This magic potion was a cleaner.  He claimed this liquid would clean every type of mess in my home and car.  From pet stains to oil and grease.  He then proceeded to clean a spot on my concrete sidewalk.  He also explained that the sales benefited a program to keep kids out of gangs.  While I didn’t buy any snake oil, he was very entertaining so I gave him a donation for the kids, and sent him to his next potential customer.

(Google Image)  
Once inside I was reminded that Spring Cleaning week was upon me.  While of course you can do spring cleaning anytime, this week just helps you get more motivated.  It also lasts for a whole week so you don't have to burden yourself to get it done.  Research on this subject offered the suggestion of cleaning one room every day.  The first "room" I like to tackle is my yard.  With spring comes pollen and it turns everything yellow.  I like to wash off my house and deck, and then rack up all the leaves and limbs in the yard.  Then plant pretty colorful flowers, and spread pine bark mulch in the flower beds.  I love the way fresh pine bark smells when you first put it down.  Once the yard is looking good I can concentrate on the inside.
(Google Image)  
I'm sure everyone has their own methods for house cleaning.  My main projects include swapping out my winter clothes for summer clothes, making sure to thin out clothes I no longer wear so I can replace them with newer ones.  My other big project is shampooing the rugs.  If I'm feeling really ambitious, I will move furniture to clean and dust behind them, and give the bathrooms a good scrubbing.

(Google Image)  
So this week on Spring Cleaning Week, spread the fun around each day, and let us know some of your cleaning tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...