Sunday, April 29, 2012

National Dance Day


(Google Image) 



I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.

Dance....I hope you dance.

By Diane Forrest
(Google Image) 

Ecclesiastes 3:1-4 says To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.  I am a Baptist, and I don't know what they were thinking when they read this verse, because dancing is frowned upon in my church.  I remember one year our minister of music arranged a ballet performance depicting a Biblical story, and it was a scandalous event at the time.

(Google Image) 

I never took dance when I was growing up, my father told me I was just not coordinated to try to dance.  I would go out with friends in college, and I would always be on the sidelines, scared to dance because someone might laugh at me, or worse, I would fall down.  None of the weddings I went to ever had dancing, they were always held in the church's reception room with cake and punch.  The first wedding I went to that included dancing was my stepson's.  My husband, who was in his wheelchair, asked me to dance.  He wanted me to sit in his lap as he twirled his chair around.  I was too afraid of hurting him, or putting too much weight on his chair, so I said no.  That was the last time he was out.  A week later he was placed on bed rest to heal a decubitus ulcer that had formed on his bottom, and he never recovered from that.  I wish I had said yes.

(Google Image) 

This is National Dance Day.  Today, more than ever dancing is all around.  There are televison shows such as "So you think you can Dance?" and "Dancing with the Stars", there are movies about dancing such as Footloose, and even video games like Wii dancing.  Dancing is great exercise, it allows you to shake your booty, and gets the blood flowing.  It strengthens your muscles and your heart.  So today,

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like no-one's watching.
Sing like no-one's listening.
Live like there's no tomorrow.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...