Sunday, April 22, 2012

Volunteer Recognition Day


By Diane Forrest

On Easter weekend my church staged an Easter event.  It was really beautiful, with 11 scenes of the events that occurred before during and after the crucifixion of Jesus. Planning for this event began in January.  There were sets to be built, costumes to be made, and stories to be learned.  There were over 200 volunteers dressed in costume to perform the roles; there were volunteers to build the sets, make the costumes, drive the busses and trolleys and to clean the grounds after the production.  The whole weekend went off without a hitch, and was a great success with over 2000 in attendance.

My church is full of volunteers performing duties to keep things functioning, from members keeping the nursery, teaching the classes, singing in the choir and even operating the cameras and sound systems.  Not only do they volunteer inside the church, but in the community as well.  They visit the homebound, make hospital and nursing home visits and even help with home repair for the elderly and widows.

(Google Image) 
I have always heard the busier someone is, the more they will do.  I found that to be true.  When I was in school, I not only had my studies, but I also wrote on the school newspaper, was president of the Senior class, was president of my nursing class, was active in church, writing my Sunday school newsletter, playing on the volleyball team, working with the puppet class, singing in choir, and teaching a class on Sunday evenings.  The more I was asked to do, I always managed to find the time somewhere.

(Google Image)

Today is Volunteer Recognition day.  Volunteers don't do what they do for recognition or awards; they are simply filling a need in the community and helping out where they can.  My newspaper has an award ceremony every year recognizing community volunteers.  The section in the paper is called Unsung Heroes.  Both of my parents have won this award.  Names are submitted by folks in the community, so it reaches a wide range of activities.

(Google Image)

If you know someone who volunteers, give them a call; send them a card or email to let them know you appreciate what they do.  If you would like to be a  volunteer, contact places in your community, like your church, area hospitals, children's homes, abused women facilities, or even your local chamber of commerce.  If you still can't find anything, try checking out this place for more ideas at http://www.volunteermatch.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...