Sunday, May 13, 2012

Marshmallow Fluff Birthday


(Google Image) 

Chef Diane

My grandmother made all the Christmas goodies every year.  When she passed away 7 years ago, I decided to continue her traditions, and using the recipes she gave me, started out making her delicious treats.  Little did I know when she wrote her recipes for me, she left out certain ingredients, or wrote the wrong amounts?  I soon found this out when the wonderful fudge that I grew up watching her make, didn't turn out the way hers did.  The next year I had some fudge at a party, and even though it wasn't Granny's fudge, it was still great.  I asked for the recipe, and was told it was found on the jar of marshmallow fluff!!!  Can it be??? I got jar, followed the recipe, and have been making Christmas fudge ever since.

(Google Image) 
That was my first introduction to Marshmallow Fluff, who celebrates its birthday today.  In 1920 two young men, H. Allen Durkee and Fred L. Mower, from Massachusetts opened a business with one barrel of sugar (at 28 cents per pound) a few tin cans: two spoons: one second hand Ford, and no customers, but plenty of prospects.  Within 10 years they had built the business, increased employees and added new products to their business.  They even had a radio show that lasted 15 minutes each week and came on before the Jack Benny show. The performers were called the Flufferettes.

(Google Image) 
Business continued to grow, and is now found in several countries around the world.  Not only can you enjoy it straight from the jar, but it is also used in several recipes.  To find other uses for Marshmallow Fluff, click here:  http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/recipe_favorites.html

If you can't find it in your area, below is a recipe you can make at home, it can also be packaged and given as gifts during the holidays, it lasts for 2 weeks.  So, Happy Birthday Marshmallow Fluff, Enjoy some today!

Homemade marshmallow fluff recipe:
Ingredients:
1 and a half egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

(Google Image) 
Directions:
In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine egg whites, salt and corn syrup. Beat with wire whisk attachment on high speed for five minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and doubled. Make sure peaks form in it when you turn a utensil full of it upside down. Reduce speed to low, and add vanilla and powdered sugar. Stir them in until well blended. Store in fridge until ready to use, it will last for about 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...