Monday, August 20, 2012

National Spumoni Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

I have an Italian friend who often shares with me some of the wonderful foods he eats.  While I love Italian food, there is one delicacy from Italy that I have never tried.  I'm talking about Spumoni.  Typically it is of three flavors, with a fruit/nut layer between them. The ice cream layers are often mixed with whipped cream. Cherry, pistachio, and either chocolate or vanilla are the typical flavors of the ice cream layers, and the fruit/nut layer often contains cherry bits—causing the traditional red/pink, green, and brown color combination.  Spumoni differs from ice cream in that it should always be sliced, never scooped.  I don’t know the purpose of this, however, if I have to slice it in order to try some of this delicious ice cream, I don't' mind.

(Google Image) 
Today is National Spumoni Day.  You should be able to find it at your grocery's freezer, or any Italian grocery.  So don't miss out on this wonderful treat, and have a slice of Spumoni today.

(Google Image) 

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...