Thursday, August 23, 2012

National Waffle Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

A friend of mine, who is not much of a breakfast eater, has been home recuperating from surgery the past couple of weeks.  During this time he has been eating breakfast regularly to help with his healing.  His breakfast of choice is waffles, so I thought he would be a great candidate to interview for National Waffle Day.   He prefers fresh made waffles from Aunt Jemima pancake and waffle mix instead of the frozen kind.  He also likes the regular waffles and not the Belgium waffles, because they are too deep, and I guess they hold too much syrup.
(Google Image) 
One year my son asked for a waffle iron for Christmas.  I never made waffles while he was growing up, because I didn't have a waffle iron, so that Christmas he got 3 of them, and never made another waffle.  My husband loved waffles, but there was no place in town to get them, and I still didn't have a waffle iron, so when we went out of town, we would go to a waffle house where he would order waffles with either fruits and whipped cream, or syrup and pecans.  They looked more like dessert instead of breakfast.  When he was in the hospital, I had a hotel room at a nearby hotel because he was in ICU and I couldn't stay there with him.  The hotel offered free breakfast, and included was a make it yourself waffle iron, so I would get up and make him a fresh waffle once he was able to eat again.

Today is National Waffle Day.  This day was picked because it marks the anniversary of the first U.S. patent for a waffle iron, which Cornelius Swarthout received on August 24, 1869. The waffle dates back to the 1300s in Greece. Greeks cooked flat cakes between two metal pans. At the time, they topped it with cheeses and herbs.  Traditionally, waffles are served at breakfast. However, there are so many ways to enjoy them that you could eat waffles at any time of day. Chicken and waffles and corn waffles are just two examples of the numerous savory varieties that exist.
(Google Image) 
So today, on National Waffle Day, celebrate the waffle by having some for breakfast or supper, or just a snack.  If you don't have a waffle iron, you can head to your nearest waffle house, or even pick up some frozen waffles and heat them in your toaster. There is no excuse not to have a delicious waffle today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...