Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Root Beer Float Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

Many years ago my grandfather work for Mr. Barq, of Barq's root beer.  Whenever we went to visit my grandparents, he would always have a case of bottled root beer in his garage.  On the warm summer nights, he and my father would sit on the back porch and fix a root beer float; only he called them black cows.  They wouldn't ever share with me or my brother, telling us we were not old enough to have some.  I think that was just an excuse to keep us from having that sweet ice cold delicious treat.  I couldn't wait until I was old enough for a root beer float, now Barqs is the only drink I have.
(Google Image) 
At the end of the 19th century, Frank Wisner invented the first root beer float in Colorado. Frank Wisner, who owned Cripple Creek Brewing, was inspired to create the treat by the way the moon shined on snowcapped Cow Mountain. He recreated the scene by topping Myers Avenue Red root beer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. He named his concoction "Black Cow Mountain." It was an instant hit with the local kids, who shortened the name to "Black Cow."

(Google Image) 
Today is Root Beer Float Day. To make one of these delicious beverages, just add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to a tall glass of root beer. Make sure you don’t fill the glass with soda, as it will bubble and rise when you add the ice cream.  Fix one today and sit out on your back porch and make some memories with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...