Sunday, October 7, 2012

National Dental Hygiene Month

(Google Image) 

By Nurse Diane

I recently read an article about flossing.  The article stated that t taking good care of your teeth and gums can not only add years to your life, but also lowers risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes—and even memory-robbing disorders like Alzheimer’s disease? A new study of nearly 5,000 older adults found that those who brushed their teeth less than once a day were up to 65 percent more likely to develop dementia than those who brushed daily.  Read the whole article here: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/better-floss-or-after-brushing.

(Google Image) 
My mother is known for her smile.  She smiles all the time, and my daddy says he spent a fortune on her mouth.  The other day a man came up to me in church and told me what a great smile I have, and that really gave me a boost.  I have always tried to take great care of my teeth, especially seeing my husband have his pulled to have dentures fitted.  He had taken care of his teeth; however, genetics still gave him problems.
(Google Image) 

Your teeth are very important to your health and well-being.  Even while I write I feel the urge to floss.  I use a water pic, a pre-soaking rinse, soft brush as recommended by my dentist, and sensitive tooth paste.  There are other new pastes and gels on the market, like those that harden your enamel.  I don’t know about those, but I do know the ones that work on sensitive teeth do help.  I couldn't eat anything cold, but once I started using Arm & Hammer’s Pronamel, I have once again been able to enjoy ice cream.

This month is National Dental Hygiene Month.  Take extra time to clean your teeth, and make sure to floss. It is recommended to brush two minutes twice a day and floss and rinse daily.  Have an annual checkup with your dentist so that your great smile will last a lifetime.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...