Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Got a Hobby?



(Google Image)
By Diane Forrest
(Google Image)
When my husband became injured and was no longer able to work, he became very anxious.  He loved his job, and the interaction with his customers, and being home alone was a big change for him.  With nothing to do beside watch TV, he became bored.  I had read about a football player who began to knit during the off season, so I suggested that my husband take up some sort of hobby.  I knew he would be unable to knit, I couldn't teach him, since I didn’t know how, but I did know how to do latch hook.  That was something I would do while I was in my dorm room at school.  So I got him a kit, and got him started, but that activity was not for him.  He did like to do the painting by numbers, but his leg spams made that activity difficult.  Then he discovered baking.  He would make the most wonderful brownies and Italian Cream Cakes every week.  He would bring them to the hospital where I worked and share them with my coworkers.   He was happy for a while, until I was eating all the results of his hobby and told him he might want to learn how to do something else.  He got some birds, and enjoyed training them how to talk, but the mess they made became too much for him to clean.  Then we moved to a new house, and our next door neighbor taught him how to do woodworking.  He would beam when he finished making a wooden bowl and present it to a friend.  Many fortunate people have a project he made for them, and still treasure them today.
(Google Image)
When he passed away, I found myself needing something to occupy my time, so I began baking, only I didn’t eat my hobby, instead I sent it to friends and family and let them enjoy it.  Then I began to make cards.  I could never find a card that said what I was feeling, so I thought, why not make my own.  I love finding just the right picture, and lace and ribbons to place on them to make each one special and unique. I have even done a few wedding invitations party invitations and all occasion cards.
(Google Image)
A hobby is defined as an activity that is regularly undertaken for pleasure, typically during one's leisure time. Some examples include sports, crafts, collections and games.  Some of Terry's hobbies include Genealogy, playing cards, reading, watching sports and playing golf, and feeding/watching the birds.  And lately home remodeling. I still enjoy baking and making cards, and also love to play cards or other games.  This month is national hobby month.  If you don’t have a hobby you enjoy, why not find something you think you would like to do, and begin working on it.  Not only is it a great stress reliever, you may find that you could turn it into a lucrative business such as photography, woodworking, making stained glass or picture frames, baking cakes or painting.
(Google Image)
What are some of your hobbies?   
Leave a comment and let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...