Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Send a Card to a Friend Day


(Google Image)

By Diane Forrest

My mother's aunt was very good at sending greeting cards out of the blue.  It was always so nice and unexpected to go to the mailbox and fine something other than bills.  My mother's sister picked up this habit too.  After my husband passed away, I would find an encouraging card in my mailbox every month or so.  These cards were wonderful, they let me know that somewhere, someone was thinking about me.  They also made me feel guilty, because I should be sending cards to my aunts too.
(Google Image)
As the Bible tells us, it is more blessed to give than to receive.  So that is when I started making greeting cards.  I could just go and buy a box of all occasion cards, but they don't really say what I want them to say, and the pictures are not ones I like.  I love the Victorian age, and I have a card program that is filled with that period pictures.  The more I make, the more I add to them.  I have used ribbons, lace and vellum paper along with my beautiful Victorian pictures, and I can type what I want to say on the inside, which is great, because my handwriting is so atrocious, nobody can read it!
(Google Image)

Today is Send a Card to a Friend Day.  If you don’t have the time or materials to make a card, they have some very nice inexpensive cards at Walgreens, Wal-Mart, or a Hallmark or other card shop.  You can even send email cards!  You don't have to send one to every friend you have (unless you email them), Valentine’s Day is coming up, and you can reach all of your friends then.  If you have a friend who may be a little discouraged, or sick, or sad, or even rejoicing with good news, send them a card to let them know that someone somewhere is thinking of them.

So go ahead...Make someone's day...and spread a little cheer and good will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...