Monday, March 11, 2013

Holy Humor


By Diane Forrest

Ecclesiastes 3 tells us that there is a time and place for everything.  Verse 4 states:  A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance.   I can't recall any jokes or funny stories from the Bible, well there was a young man who had been listening to Paul preaching for hours..he fell asleep, then fell out of a 3 story window.   I think about that when I'm in church, and I sit on the bottom floor, not the balcony.  In fact, my Preacher used this story in his sermon a few weeks ago, entitled, Wake Up!  As any good speaker will tell you, start with a joke to break the ice. Its one of the things I like about my pastor, his ability to start with a joke or funny story, that makes me pay more attention to the more important stuff he talks about.  

I don't think these kinds of jokes are considered blasphemy or being irreverent.  We were blessed with a sense of humor, and many funny people on this earth to deliver the jokes and amusing stories. March is Holy Humor and Humorists are Artist month.  Take some time this month to relax, laugh and don't be so serious.  After all, God had a sense of humor too, just look at some of His creations such as the duckbill platypus, giraffe or three toed sloth.


At Sunday School they were teaching how God
created everything, including human beings.
Little Johnny seemed especially intent when they
told him how Eve was created out of one of Adam's ribs.
Later in the week his mother noticed him lying
down as though he were ill, and she said, 'Johnny, what is the matter?'
Little Johnny responded, 'I have pain in my side. I think I'm going to have a wife.'

A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with her five and six year olds.

After explaining the commandment to 'Honor thy

father and thy mother,' she asked,

'Is there a commandment that teaches us how to

treat our brothers and sisters?'

Without missing a beat, one little boy answered,

'Thou shall not kill..'


A Sunday School teacher asked her class why

Joseph and Mary took Jesus with them to Jerusalem..

A small child replied, 'They couldn't get a baby-sitter.'


Three boys are in the school yard bragging about their fathers.

The first boy says, 'My Dad scribbles a few words

on a piece of paper, he calls it a poem, they give him $50.'

The second boy says, 'That's nothing. My Dad

scribbles a few words on piece of paper,he calls it a song, they give him $100.'

The third boy says, 'I got you both beat. My Dad

scribbles a few words on a piece of paper, he calls it a sermon, and it takes eight people to collect all the money!' 


 A little girl, dressed in her Sunday best, was running as fast as she could, trying not to be late for Bible class.

As she ran she prayed, 'Dear Lord, please don't let me be late! Dear Lord, please don't let me be late!'

While she was running and praying, she tripped

on a curb and fell, getting her clothes dirty and tearing her dress.

She got up, brushed herself off, and started running

again!

As she ran she once again began to pray,

'Dear Lord, please don't let me be late...But please

don't shove me either!' 


Two boys were walking home from Sunday school

after hearing a strong preaching on the devil.

One said to the other, 'What do you think about

all this Satan stuff?'

The other boy replied, 'Well, you know how

Santa Claus turned out.

It's probably just your Dad..'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...