Saturday, March 23, 2013

Singing with your Child



By Diane Forrest

Sing.
Sing a song.
Sing out loud, sing out strong.
Sing of good things, not bad.
Sing of happy, not sad.
Sing.
Sing a song.
Make it simple to last your whole life long.
Don´t worry that it´s not good enough for anyone else to hear.
Just sing.
Sing a song.
La La La La La La
La La La La La La
La La La La La La
Sing. Sing a song.
Let the world.
Sing out loud.
Sing of love there, could be.
Sing for you and for me.
Sing a song.
Make it simple to last your whole life long.
Don´t worry that it´s not good enough for anyone else to hear.
Just sing, sing a song.

This song was recorded by the group the Carpenters, and it is one of my favorites.  I love to sing, I began singing in church probably as soon as I could talk.  I have always been a part of a school or church choir.  One of the first performances I remember was in a program for my kindergarten class.  I sang a solo, a tisket a tasket, a green and yellow basket. 


So it was no wonder when my son was born that I would sing to him too.  From the time he was born until the age where he didn't want to be around his mother, we would sing songs together.  Even now we will occasionally sing a rounding version of Little Cabin in the Woods.  He still laughs when I do all the hand gestures.

Singing with your child is a wonderful way to bond and bring the family together. 


March is Sing with Your Child Month.  According to musictogether.com, When we take the time to sing and make music as a family, we form everlasting bonds, which ultimately allow our children to feel safe and secure as they grow, putting them on the road to future success. In addition to the bonding that occurs when parents sing and make music with their children, the children grow into confident music-makers who are able to participate with joy in the music of their culture. And, music learning supports all learning by promoting creativity, personal expression, and social interaction.

The beauty is that making music with children does not require special skills or “musical talent.” In fact, this may be the one time in your life when the audience (your children!) will always be thrilled with your participation — and want more! These experiences will live in your children’s memories for the rest of their lives and help them develop the necessary qualities to grow into loving and confident adults.


The impact of singing and making music with your child is immeasurable, and the rewards of this simple act will help us make the world a much better place than it is now. Sing a song, grab a drum (or even a plastic bowl and wooden spoon!) and join us as we celebrate Sing With Your Child Month.

(All Images from Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...